1 Thessalonians 5:17 – “pray without ceasing;”
James 5:16 – “…The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective”
John 17:24 – “Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved mebefore the foundation of the world.”
Colossians 4:2 – “Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving.”
Prayer Before You Go…
Even now, there things to consider about prayer as we prepare for summer missions:
- How is prayer involved in your life right now?
- How would you like prayer to be more a part of your life?
- How have you seen God answer prayer recently?
- What are areas in your life that most need prayer?
- Who are at least five people who can be part of your prayer team, people who will be advocates for you in prayer now and throughout the summer?
Prayer As You Go…
Mark 1:35 – And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and?there he prayed—Jesus found time to pray even in the midst of ministry.
Prayer is Conversation with God – involves Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Intercession…
- Psalm 89:8- Lord God of hosts, who is mighty as you are, O Lord, with your faithfulness all around you.
- 1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Practical Suggestions for Prayer…
- Set aside time each day to pray, beginning now – include time of praise, confession, thanksgiving, and intercession.
- Keep a prayer journal where you can record requests and answers to prayer.
- Pray for those on your team, including yourself.
- Pray for your supervisor.
- Pray for team unity and effectiveness in ministry.
- Pray for the hearts and minds of people in your summer ministry area to be open to the Gospel.
- Enlist a prayer team to pray for your physical, emotional, and spiritual preparation for your SendMeNow service.
- During time of service this summer, keep prayer a regular part of your life.
“All the prayers of the Bible can be condensed into a single prayer. And the prayer is a simple one. Just six lines. I call it– The Pocket Prayer.
You are good.
I need help.
So do they.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
PrayerWalking Made Simple by Chris Schofield
The Secret of Intercession by Andrew Murray
Basic Spiritual Warfare
“Prayer is not an activity, but a relationship.”
Hearts Cry Principles of Prayer by Jennifer Kennedy Dean